Saturday, January 24, 2009

But God...

Sickness has returned, with a vengeance this time around! Alas, it must be the "bugs" here in Romania are not the same as in the Sates! It has been unseasonably warm here in Sighisoara. Two days ago, I was strolling town without the need of my winter jacket! I was walking with David, the man with whom I will be working under during my internship with the elderly programs, and was commenting, "Wow, what a nice day this is!" and his reply was, "Nice for who? All the bacteria comes alive now, talking, dancing, and infecting people!" Haha, he has quite the humor, and I just laughed with him, thinking I was invincible to this, and just enjoying the day. Well, guess what, the next day rolls around and at least 4 people are sick on the Veritas staff, and then myself! haha.. oh the party bacteria is having in my body right now!

Last night I found myself quite homesick. There is just something about wanting to be home when one feels awful and ill. I have not been sick in so long, and now within the past month, this is the second time! Before bed, the combination of being sick- not just physically, but also homesick, brought quite the waterfall of tears. I was in need of comfort and consolation. I am so thankful for this family here, and they have taken great care of me, but I needed comfort for my soul.. and who knows my soul better than my Lord?!

So, I would like to share a story now. I had waited to do my devotions till bedtime. As I curled up under the covers with tissues at hand, I opened up the devotional I am reading by Amy Carmichael. My heart skipped a beat as I read the scripture it was focusing on for that devotional- Psalm 73. Now, this is not just any Psalm for me, this has been a Psalm that is special and close to my heart. I was amazed yet again at how the Lord was ministering to my heart, my soul... his comfort was tangible, a soothing balm for my pain. Though my flesh and my heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart, and my portion FOREVER! Forever, now when I am sick, now when I am lonely, now when I am joyful in His comfort, now as I realize I can be content, no matter what the situation, because he is my portion- forever!

Here is the devotional, I would like to share with you, in hopes you may find encouragement as well :)

Psalm 73:26- But God.

These words have been like strong hands lifting up, bearing up, countless thousands of souls. "My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever." Many who will read this note are well and strong and joyful in their work, thank god for that. Sooner or later, however, to most who follow the Crucified, there comes a time when flesh and heart fail, and if it were not for that "But God", we should go under. Will those, to whom they are not the needed words to-day, take them and store them safely in the wonderful storehouse which God has given to us all-memory? And when they are needed they will rise up and speak.
That failing flesh and heart belongs to the time when "there be many that say, Who will show us any good?" Feelings and fears can be like a torrent of rough water and we see no way to cross it. "But God" makes all the difference then, "for Thou, Lord, has never failed them that seek Thee."

So friends, may we seek Him who does provide, in quite tangible and consoling ways. May we tell of His deeds and testify of His goodness and faithfulness morning and night!
"But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord God my refuge, That I may tell of all Your works."- Psalm 73:28

Here are some highlights from this past week, in case any are interested! It might be lengthy, but it is Saturday, which provides time to do some much needed updating! I just wanted to forewarn :)

I can't remember where I left off, so I will start with Tuesday!

Tuesday, January 20
  • Trip to Sinia- Students from Huntington headed back home today. We woke up in the morning, and I tagged along with them for the first leg of the trip. The van took us to a beautiful town called Sinai, which is home of a gorgeous German castle, nestled at the foot of breath-taking mountains. The drive there was about 3 hours, and we stopped at a roadside market on the way. When we arrived in Sinia, our first thing on the agenda was to drive to the top of the mountain for a picturesque view. However, the road up was icy, so icy poor Vern the Van could not make it up. Vern actually got stuck halfway up, on a patch of ice! Problem solving time-So here we were, stuck halfway up the mountain, 9 women... option one- back down the steep hill..hmmm, not the best idea. Option two- get out an push...a better idea! Finding this situation quite comical, we got out and pushed. We were quite the sight! But we were able to push up the van to a place where we could turn it around, and head back down to safety!
  • Monastery- we then visited briefly a beautiful monastery. We walked into the church and the sound of singing monks greeted my ears. The inside was adorned in gold, intricate sculpting, and magnificent paintings. It was beautiful, but breath-taking beautiful was also awaiting us...
  • The Castle- we walked from the monastery to the castle on a cobble stone old carriage path. It was intriguing to think of the carriages that had traveled that very path, and who the passengers must have been! The path opened up to the view of a fairytale sight- the castle. But the location of the castle was most resplendent- mountains, trees, amazingness!! It was lovely.
  • Dinner- we then ate dinner at a restaurant near the castle and enjoyed a traditional meal with soup, and some form of meat. It was delicious.
  • Train ride- The time for goodbyes had now arrived, and Sandy, my new friend and translator from Sighisoara, and I gave hugs and bid our farewells as we boarded the train. Bittersweet times.

Wednesday, January 21

  • On the job-My second day on the job was quite full. There are a total of three elderly programs that I will be involved in. The first is every morning, Monday-Friday, from 10:00-12:00. It is held in a Nazarene church, and they play games and converse. The second program is held in the basement of the Veritas Director- Dorothy. Now, this is not just any basement. There is a separate entryway, which you walk through and are greeted by a room full of overstuffed-comfortable chairs, and a comfy ambiance. It is warm and welcoming. This group of elderly is all females, and they are fairly better off than the first group of elderly. The third group meets in an apartment that is owned by the Nazarene church. This group is also all women!
  • After the morning time- I went to the Family Center, where I will be eating all of my lunches. These dedicated cooks serve food for the staff, elderly, and all the kids clubs that come. And the food is delicious!
  • Little children-Following lunch I went to kids club, which is the second program that I will be working with. I will be with the 7-8 year old children, which is a good change of pace for me, and will give me the necessary variety while I am here!
  • Teens-I also went to the teen club afterwards to get an idea of what they do, and how the program is run. However, I found this to be the most difficult for me as it was hard to communicate and they were not as accepting. But it was good to observe and have the experience.

Thursday, January 22

  • Elderly club- 10:00 AM I opened the door to the church that has become quite familiar now, and sat down to work on a puzzle with a woman. I was slightly discouraged this morning again with the language barrier, and my lack of "ability" to encourage. But I was wrong at doubting, and not trusting the Lord to use me in spite of the language barrier. For after this time, I went with David on a home visit.
  • The home visit- David and I walked a short distance, through a gate, to a small house where an elderly woman lived. She is struggling as her body is full of liquid, and she can barely move. She has already had 9 surgeries and has sold many of her things in order to pay medical bills. Not only is she dealing with this illness, but her mother just died last week and she was unable to attend the funeral. She also shared that her daughter passed away a couple of weeks ago, due to epilepsy and other medical issues. However, as I sat on her bed with this woman, she held my hand and told me through tears, her stories. I found that no matter what the language, physical presence, holding her hand and scratching her back, and mourning with her, the Lord can draw people together. Near the end of our time, she prayed for me, she prayed for ME!! Seriously, in the midst of her limitations, her sorrow and her pain, she thought of me and brought me to the Lord in prayer. I left there dumbfounded, humbled and inspired.

Friday, January 23

  • An earlier morning for me- I rolled out of bed and prepared for the day in about 15 min... I am getting better at it! Tata (papa) and I headed to the Veritas staff meeting, located at House on the Rock. We read Psalm 25 and had time to reflect on the passage. Then, the group shared parts and aspects of the scripture that impacted and taught them something. I am looking forward to this time we will have every Friday morning together.
  • Elderly club- Today I played more games and drank tea and played the piano a bit for the elderly. There is a woman in the group who knows a bit of English and I have enjoyed getting to know her better. She has two grandsons who live in the States, and she has learned English from talking with them! You are never too young to learn :)
  • Meeting with Dorothy- Dorothy is very sick as well, but we took time to meet and go over my learning contract. I am excited to have some direction now and a better idea of what this next semester will look like. She shared with me that my arrival is timely, and even more so providential that I am interested in working with the elderly programs as it is time for some new program developments and such. I am excited to learn more about the needs of this elderly community!
  • Apartment gathering- Dorothy then drove me to the apartment where the 3rd group of elderly meet. It is quite a ways from the other programs (7 min drive and 30 min walk from the Citadel). I walked in and was greeted by a quaint and nice apartment with three rooms, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen. The women were all squeezed into one of the rooms (about 20 of them). David introduced me to the group and they were so sweet. One of the ladies however asked how can I help them if I can not talk with them? This was a concern I knew they would present and can imagine how ridiculous it must appear to have someone come to help them who can not communicate. However, I know that this is where the Lord has me, and for a reason. I am not discouraged as I have already learned much from observing, and the Lord confirming my time here by His helping me in learning quickly, and granting creative ideas in how to help. I knew this would be one of the most challenging programs to be involved in, but I am most excited with this challenge in seeing how the Lord works.
  • Long walk home- after this elderly club, I had an hour walk home, by far my farthest walk home! I had never taken this way, and after the first half, David had to go his way home, and I was left to navigate on my own!! hahaha, it was exciting, and I thank the Lord for giving me a sense of direction. I had no problems, and actually found the walk to be a great time to think and pray and reflect on the day, and the weather was still warm and comfortable. I truly enjoy all the walking that I am doing here!!

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it provides details and information that better helps my friends and family know what I am doing here. I long to remain connected and supply information for any curiosity one might have as to the happenings here. I love to hear back from you all as well, and how the Lord is working and sustaining in each of your lives.

Thank you again for your encouragement, especially during my time of sickness, and your prayers. I have seen the Lord answer prayer, and my heart is full of His joy..

But God...

Is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever..

JoY

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh Lauren,
Though you are sick, it seems as though the Lord is still using you in marvelous ways and keeping a fresh perspective in your mind and heart. I love that about you!

Its so great to read and get a little taste of what you are doing. It sounds like many great things are happening and you are doing well adapting and serving already!

I love you and I am praying for you!

Dave said...

wow! what a combination of events! exciting though I can imagine! thanks for these updates, Lauren b/c it's encouraging to see how God is confirming His steadfast love n faithfulness to maintain that which He's ordained so to speak :) keep the joy set before you as you serve Him in the arena of the "least of these"!