Sunday, January 18, 2009

Moments


Snowflakes falling,
Beautiful sight.
Goodbyes calling,
Life is bright.
Blessed in passing,
Moments a treasure.
Sincerity unmasking,
Love without measure.

This little poem was my attempt at expressing the depth of my gratitude for the special people and the special moments in life. Each person, each act of kindness, each sight of the fruit of the Spirit, each genuine tear and hug... each moment a treasure.
I am here in Sighisoara, typing on the computer in my room. I have found the place that I will lay my head the next months to be cozy and comforting. The room is on the main floor with the family, which I know is providential being the only student here for the semester. The whole family is on this floor, and it will provide lots of opportunities for connecting and being together. 
I have already fallen in love with this family. I was welcomed immediately at the door by 11 year old Rachel. She also loves horses, a bond in which we share and contributed to our instant friendship! haha ;) I am truly thankful however for her mutual goofiness and joy in spending time together... I can not wait to spend the rest of the couple of months getting to know her better.
Although the 40th student to stay here with the family, yes that is 40, the family has welcomed me with equal amount of Christ-like love, and of course that Romanian hospitality. I am yet again amazed by this family's hearts for giving, sharing, and can see in their eyes a care and genuine concern for each student. The mother and father, whom I will call mamma and tata... are amazing. I am truly blessed to be here. Although the father knows little English, we have communicated well through hand motions, facial expressions and our small vocabulary of either Romanian or English. He radiates love for those around him and has such a gentle spirit.   He laughs easily and connects quickly with the students.
There are two other American girls living here till Tuesday from Huntington college. It has been so fun having host-sisters and they are fellow social work students! We had a great time tonight playing jungle speed with Rachel, during which I almost lost my nose to an intense battle for the game piece! hahaha :) Laughter is so good... the kind that makes your belly hurt!!
Yesterday, I was able to visit a town about an hour and a half away, called Sibiu. There were about 20 of us Americans with a group from Huntington and a Nazarene college. It was a great outing, and fun to get to know the students. As the only Cornerstone rep, I hope I did justice for the school!!! 
Sibiu was a beautiful old city, so much history, with ornate buildings that have been restored. Sibiu was nominated as the city of choice in Europe along with Luxemburg, last year I believe, and it was a great honor for Romania. Thus, most of the renovation money went into this city. We went inside a German and Lutheran church, as well as shopped in the Piata Mare (large square) and the Piata Mic (small square). There was a large snow hill right in the middle where gleeful children sledded down its icy packed snow. Some of the guys from the Nazarene college even decided to join in the fun and slide down with the kids.. definitely receiving some funny looks from the parents ;).
Well, tomorrow is my first day of "school" and I am still uncertain as to what to expect. Yet I am learning more day by day to just go with the flow and be flexible. It has really caused me to step back and reflect more on the value of cultivating relationships. Time is one of the most valuable things you can give someone, and I am recognizing that more as I experience a slower pace here in Romania. Moments really are a treasure, and the extent to which joy and sincerity and love can be manifested through quality time is truly a gift.

Praise be to the Giver of every good and perfect gift...

JoY

P.S. Pictures to come when the ability to post them comes :)
P.S.S. I know I didn't write about the topics mentioned in the previous post, sorry about that, but I will make sure to either share later, or in person!

Noapte Buna- Good Night!


1 comment:

Sarah said...

lauren,
how good it is to follow your journey! this must be such an amazing experience. i have been thinking about you and praying for you whenever i think about it! :)
you are beautiful and its no doubt in my mind that the Lord is using you in many beautiful ways as well as you serve in Romania.

praying for you. love you. cant wait to get together when you return...its been FAR too long since i spent some time with you! :)