Thursday, January 1, 2009

Oceans Apart


I sit here, and it is past midnight Romanian time as I write. This may seem late to be up, and although I am a college student (and we are known to be up till early hours in the morning), the reason for my lack of sleepiness is the result of not waking up till about 5:00 this afternoon! Here is the story...

Last night was the last night of 2008. After arriving in Cluj, Romania at 9:30 pm the night before, the weariness of traveling and the time change had most certainly set in. That in combination with the excitement of arrival as well as good late night conversation with Heather, meant sleeping in till about noon! After rolling out of bed, Heather and I were treated like royalty. We are staying at the YWAM base, here in Cluj. The majority of the people who normally stay here, are currently in Egypt doing missions. So in the house at this time is a family who lives upstairs, and then Goldy who is in her late 20's, her 4 year old daughter Isabella, and her 14 year old brother, Eddy. Heather and I are staying in a lovely room, that is quite comfortable!

Anyways, back to the story. After rolling out of bed, Goldy again showed us touching hospitality by bringing up some amazing french press coffee to sip on while sitting on the sofas. I have truly enjoyed getting to know this wonderful sister in the Lord, and have already been encouraged in the past day and a half of knowing her. It is so refreshing, and it is amazing to see how the bond of the Lord unites, even those who are oceans apart!!

After our coffee time, we headed to the mall to go to the grocery store. Cluj is quite the city, a college town, with many students. The mall is only a year old, and is like any typical mall in America. The Romanians dress up to peruse the mall, and all look their finest. I enjoyed observing all the people and learning Romanian words for chicken, ponies, milk, and all sorts of other things!

After the mall, it was time to get ready for our New Years Eve extravaganza. Goldy made dinner to eat and food to bring to the all night party, while Heather and I helped get ready for the party by making masks for the masquerade. Although Heather and I had no costumes, we dressed up and wore our little masks for the evening.

We hopped in the taxi and headed to the church....

Buna Sear! Welcome! We were greeted by all sorts of characters... Dracula, peasants, princesses, and a Californian winter basketball player!! The church body was wonderful, and I felt so welcome. Heather and I were uncertain as to how long we would last through the evening, but as the night went on, we were lured into the excitement, games, and conversation that was offered!

It began with lots of food... yummy food. I found that there were quite a few people who knew English, and there were even some men who were from the States there. We were able to talk and get to know more family in the Lord. I have been so encouraged and touched by these interactions and the warmth we have been shown.

After a time of food, they played a game that incorporated the costumes, which took quite a while. Then there was a short message, followed by a time when the church member recognized each other and the things they were thankful for that past year. The night passed by till midnight approached. At about quarter to midnight, we all donned our jackets and headed out into the brisk night to participate in the fireworks show. It is tradition for everyone to have fireworks and we ushered in the new year to the lights and sounds all around us! (see the video).

The rest of the night we talked more, played more games, and sang karaoke... it was one of my most favorite New Years Eve celebrations I have experienced!

At 7:00 in the morning, we trudged up the stairs to our home. Heather and I had to quick put the left over chicken in the fridge, and as we were going back down the stairs, Heather slipped on the icy staircase and toppled down, while completely flipping! The poor thing was so hurt and scared... it was quite the fall! So, with help of Goldy and Eddy, we doctored her up and all headed to bed.

We woke up this afternoon at 5:00 pm.... hehehe :) I am so glad I have the opportunity to rest up here, and it has been such a blessing after all the events of the past week. I am most surely receiving quite the care and hospitality.

So the rest of the day consisted of dinner, washing dishes together, playing games and looking at pictures.

I really do love it here so far, and feel so at home right now....

Oh, and in regards to the luggage... all is well! I was able to bring both, not without quite the cost, but I am thankful that I will not have to live with just one pair of pants and 2 sweaters for my 4 months here!! :)

And the Lord has truly and sovereignly been teaching and astounding me with His provision and answers to prayers....

Thank you for all your love and support as I continue to embark on this joyous journey! Please pray for continued sifting in my heart, priorities, and life, as I seek to serve and love Him, and put the needs of others before my own.


Love and Joy in Him,
Lauren
Here are some pictures to provide some images thus far!
My family and I at O'Hare in Chicago...











Renee and I on the plane, heading to Frankfurt!



This is a couple we met at a traditional German restaurant, called Adolf Wagner. His name was Robert and he was extremely knowledgeable and had alot to share about the history of Germany, the restaurant, and so much more. He was quite the talker!




We visited an adorable little coffee/ice cream/candy store on our walk back to the hotel. It was quite interesting, because many places had outdoor seating, out door markets, and such, even in the chilly weather of the end of December!! But we opted for the indoor seating here :)

This is me and my white hot chocolate... deliciousness...

Grandpa!



The walk back to the hotel...


Heather and Isabella at the grocery store...


Eddy and Heather having an animated Romanian conversation over dinner.. and Lauren caught video tapping..ooops! hehehe... enjoy :)


Heather and I preparing for a chilly New Years Countdown outside!
Sparkler party!



New Year's Eve countdown in Romanian- "cinci, patru, trei, dui, unu, cero!"


Fireworks Galore !



2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you've had access to the internet to post all of this! It looks like you are having a wonderful time and I'm so happy for you! Love you!

Sarah said...

lauren,
i am so happy for you! this sounds like it is all off to a great start for you...what a wonderful opportunity you have! im throwing some prayers your way...love ya! :)
keep us updated!