Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Nothing by chance.

Let's begin today with an interesting, new found discovery I have made..

I love oranges! 

Insignificant information? Well, let me explain :)

Before coming to Romania- I greatly disliked eating oranges... I loved orange juice, but could live quite comfortably without going through the "trouble" of peeling an orange! hahaha


Fast forward to today... oranges have become, hmmm... turkish delight to my taste-buds! I crave them, and furthermore, they have been my lifeline in helping me fight these little bugs of sickness!

I did not know what I was missing!

Some other interesting discoveries/ observations:
  • European chocolate is much better than any American chocolate, I am in chocolate paradise here!
  • The pace of life here is very relaxed. I operate now on a schedule called- "Romanian Time"... flexible and laid back
  • The majority of Europeans know multiple languages. Hungarian, German, Romanian, English, and Spanish have been some I encounter here daily. It has motivated me to learn more languages.
  • I can do without a shower for 3-4 days! haha :)
  • I have talked more about Obama here in Romania, than in the states.
  • Baby powder is a grease buster.
  • Romanians have amazing bread, and eat alot of it.
  • A smile is universal :)   (Of which I am so grateful!)
  • Observation is a valuable way to learn!
Well, this is my second week here working with the elderly programs and kids club. I have a rough schedule of my weeks- although it is always liable to be changing and adapting with the flow of things! I have found it to be quite a rigorous schedule- some days about 9 hours long! 

I had my first Romanian lessons yesterday (Tuesday) and will have 3 lessons a week (Tuesday, Thursday and Friday). There is another student in the class with me, of which I am so grateful! The other student is named Richard and he is from Germany. I do not know much about him quite yet, but he is a volunteer here in Sighisoara. It is nice to have someone else to learn with in the class.  The Lord has provided many people for me to interact with and new people to befriend. The teacher is very sweet, and she is from Moldova and has a sister who lives in Ukraine and my mom is from Ukraine, so that was a fun connection. So much cultural diversity! People have said that I am learning Romanian quickly, another area in which to thank the Lord. But I am excited to see how future lessons go, and would appreciate continued prayers in this area!

I think something that has most certainly blown my socks off these past few days, I have come to realize during the solitude of my evening devotions and time of reflection and prayer. Proverbs 16:9 says, 
"The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps."
So few words, "nothing is by chance", yet so profound.
 I have come to realize this in a fuller sense here in Romania.

Yesterday, as I was leaving my Romanian lesson, Dorothy was coming out of the office. She asked me where I was going. I shared with her that I was about to make my long trek out to the apartments where one of the elderly clubs is located. She asked if I would rather like to get a cup of coffee with her and then she could drive me to the club. Hard decision of course, so I "reluctantly" agreed... its like pulling teeth to get me to agree to a cup of coffee!! hahaha ;)
Over coffee, Dorothy prefaced the time with "I have some news that I think will excite you." She placed on the small table a yellow sticky note that had a name and number jotted down. "This is the number of a horse therapy program located in a village about 20 min. from here." Dorothy has shared that she likes to "tailor" the experience for a student according to their likes and needs. "Sometimes this happens in more specific ways than others!" She shared how she thought I may enjoy going out there once a week to volunteer. And not only was this program 20 min away, it is in a village where she has access to a "getaway" cottage, or a place to relax. She said she would be willing to take me out there weekly to visit, and she would go to the cottage to get some much needed rest! "But the Lord directs His steps...."
The Lord is most certainly directing and leading me in ways I never imagined. This past fall I never imagined to be offered to opportunity to work with a horse therapy program after graduation. Yet through various situations, it has become a reality. Then I come to Romania, where little is known about horse therapy... yet 20 min away, resides a horse therapy program! 
Dorothy, myself, and Kim (a peace corps volunteer who works with Veritas) headed out to the village Rondula. The horse program was started by a German couple, who welcomed us into their home when arrived. They live in the German church parish. Dorothy is fluent in German, and as they welcomed us to sit at their table, conversation began. The wife lit the candles and served us coffee, while their almost 2 year old daughter looked across the table with those curious beautiful little eyes. She was adorable, and decided to befriend me as soon as we stepped outside to visit the animals! The couple is a strong Christian couple who is living daily relying on the Lord's grace and provision. A struggle, the husband shared, as he is used to providing with his own hands and resources. Last year they had a fire which burned much of thier buildings, and he also suffered from an injury that has limited his working ability. Currently, they are in a limbo period, waiting till spring to begin any riding programs, as well as in need of much financial support and aid. Yet, they welcomed me to come whenever I would like, and Dorothy and I have discussed a once a week outing. Another thought is to somehow get the children in the Veritas program connected with this couple, thus networking the children in need of this type of therapy, as well as providing people for the couple to work with!! 
This opportunity is so amazingly exciting for me, and I wish I could share it with each one of you, in person! Maybe to give you a picture- a big smile, sporadic clapping of the hands, expressive hand motions, jumping up and down, the WOW type expressions that accompanies any excitement, and lots of joy! So much is lost in just typing this all out here in the blog! But, this is most surely just beginning and a new adventure! For it is the Lord who guides and directs our steps... I give Him all the praise and glory, for every good and perfect gift is from above. I find such peace in the knowledge that He knows the depths of our hearts. In all of this, Philippians has greatly encouraged me this week in all situations as I look to set my heart and mind on things above, on Christ. I want to leave you with this part of scripture...

More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. 
Philippians 3:8

Please pray that I will set earnestly my heart and mind on things above, and that I will press on towards the goal daily in knowing and walking humbly with Him. 

Love and joy friends and family!
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
I love hearing how you are doing and knowing that your experience there is going so well. God certainly is doing big things in your heart and life and certainly has not stopped his work while you are away! I am so excited to hear that you will be connected with a horse therapy program. Who would have ever thought!! Yeah God! Your scripture verses reminded me of one of my favorites: Acts 20:24 "therefore, I consider my life worth nothing to me if only I may finish the race and complete the task that the Lord Jesus has given me, the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace" Press on my sister!
Christina Winell

Rachel E. Watson said...

Hello, beautiful! It's so GOOD to hear how the Lord is blessing you. I cannot believe he laid in your lap this horse therapy program so close to where you're staying.

It's ALMOST like he knows you inside and out, isn't it? ;) (Psalm 139.)

I love you, girl. You're on my heart and in my prayers.

Rachel W.

Elizabeth Joy said...

Wow! :) I LOVE you, Miss Lauren. What an AMAZING, AWESOME and INTIMATE Lord He is to us!!! I am praying for you and I'm so excited to read all He has done so far. Be well, dear sister. I love you!!! ~Elizabeth Joy McD~