Monday, January 5, 2009

"Continuance"

Plans have changed here in Romania for me.
Originally, Heather and I had made arrangements to travel the country, visiting the capitol, Bucharest, and a tourist city on the Black Sea called Costansa. However, there has been some sickness and weariness, as well as the deterring thought of a 10-13 hour train ride, just one way!
So, we have decided to stay here at the YWAM base in Cluj. I am grateful for this change in plans! I truly love it here. Three people have returned, one girl named Cristina from her home here in Romania, where she was for the holidays. Also, 2 girls returned from their time in Egypt... and they both are from Michigan! So there are 3 of us here now from the good 'ole state :).
Yesterday, I attended the same church that hosted the New Years Eve party, with Goldy, Isa, and Eddy. We only stayed for the first hour, which was mainly a time of worship. We had to leave early in order to bring Eddy to the train station as he had to return home for school. I miss him already. The night before he left we watched a edition of Extreme Makeover House Edition, and then he loves to watch funny videos of people falling, like funniest home videos. I had brought lots of chocolate that I received for Christmas and we had quite the little feast and entertainment!! hahahaha :)
Also yesterday, a family who lives in the attic of the house had us over for a delicious lunch. She made soup, potatoes, creamed corn, chicken, bread, and fruit salad! I am also happy to say that I have met many fellow coffee lovers here and we enjoy chatting and sharing while enjoying coffee with one another!
In the evening, Heather and I hopped in a taxi and headed out to visit a family that she is very close with. Their names are Zela and Dorin and they have an adorable 3 year old daughter named Naomi. They also blessed us with Romanian hospitality and we were ushered into their apartment to enjoy another yummy dinner of chicken, corn, and bread!
At the beginning, I was uncertain as to how much English the family knew, so I stepped back and let Heather do alot of much needed catching up with them. Heather is quite fluent in Romanian, and it was so fun to just listen to them talking with one another. I tried to catch words here and there that I now know as well as try to figure out what they were saying by observing the body language!!!
After dinner, we sat down together and Zela and I were able to have a really nice conversation while Heather, Dorine, and Naomi laughed and played with each other :).
I have some prayer requests now...
Heather is not feeling the greatest, as I mentioned earlier. She will be going to the doctor with one of the mothers later this afternoon. Please pray that she will receive good counsel, advice, and possibly some medicine that can help! Also that she would be able to continue to have strength and energy as it is so hard when you are sick to feel up to par. But her attitude has been truly great even in this difficulty! I am thankful for her friendship and laughter in the midst of the sickness :)
Also, please pray for me in regards to resting in the Lord and daily looking to Him for my needs. As many know, I happen to struggle with people pleasing, my love for people and service has been a strength in various forms, but also a weakness. I want to love and serve in order to glorify the Lord, and not to meet my sometimes perceived "need" to be liked. I share this in honesty, knowing that the Lord is stretching and refining.
Today's devotional was a good reminder in regards to this issue. In all my ways, in all my days, the only reason for strength, for joy, for love, for hope, for service... is because of His continuance in providing and strengthening, etc. Being liked and loved by others is a blessing, but not something to strive for ultimately. The praise of man is empty, and not something that I can stand upon!! Anyways, here is what the devotional said...
Isaiah 64:5
Thou meetest him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember Thee in Thy ways... in those is continuance.
"Three conditions, two assurances. If only we will be happy, work, and remember our loving Father, He will meet us in His ways, and those ways will not end in a blank wall, a precipice, darkness; in those (ways) is continuance.
This word has strengthened me afresh. Many things end- hopes, plans, powers- but not the eternal leadings of the Lord our God. The path leads on through plain and valley and forest, up to the heights. The way is like the sunlit patch on the sea at dawn. It 'shineth more and more unto the perfect day'. And then?"
The eternal leadings of the Lord are continuing and never ending... I am so thankful and renewed "afresh" in focusing and basking in this truth.

Much love friends and family!!!


JoY

















1 comment:

AngelaC said...

I will certainly pray for you Lauren!! Your blog is wonderful...

PS- I definitely understand your struggle. I often try to preach to myself more than I listen to myself, to remind myself of what you said daily.

love.